This story was written by ate(Thelma) my sister for the book Women Journeying In The Faith a compilation of Filipino Methodist Women in recognition for the varied ministries of women in the church and in the communities,for the CentennialYear of Methodist Faith in the Philippines.
Nanay cared deeply for others.She show her love and compassion through simple things,such as sharing her food w/ the neighbors.She would apportion our meager resources w/ our less fortunate relatives.She would kindly give advice to those who sought for it.She was always cheerful and affectionate.I cannt remember a single instance she spoke ill of another person.
My mother,Emerenciana Reyes Ocampo-Teodoro was born August 26,1914 in Candaba,Pampanga.she was the yougest among nine children.
Acc. to Nanay,her father was the only methodist in his family.Among his relatives ,they were the poorest,prompting comments ,Tazan(Baltazar) you are poor because you are a Methodist,you should join the Catholic Church.
Nanay and her siblings grew up in their Methodist faith.However,her siblings were converted to Catholiismwhen they got married and only Nanay remained a Methodist.
She showered us,her children,w/lots of love and a deep faith in God.We never missed sunday School and were always present during rallies and institutes.she barely had enough for our needs,but she always say"God will provide.God will see us through".
our home was always filled w/ music,she had alovely voice and was always singing hymns as she deed her chores.She also encourage us to memorize the hymns in their English versions.
Nanay was also avery loving wife to Tatay.she always made it a point to have meals w/ him.we never witnessed a quarrel between them,and whatever differences they may have had were settled in private.they trusted and respected each other deeply.
Perhaps it was nanay's humility,kindheartedness,and faith in God w/c made Tatay decide to become a methodist who was an Aglipayan then. Tatay became an industrious and faithful servant of the Lord and is one of the founders of our local church.
As we grew older my brothers and sisters and I became more active in the churchand later tok more serious responsibilities.My eldest brother became a pastor and the rest of us leaders in our respective local churches.
Nanay once told me"Anak,the only thing of value that I can pass to you is faith." As I grew up,I realized indeed faith in the Lord is the most precious gift that she gave us.For w/o this faith,I would not be the same happy,contented and peaceful woman of God that I am now.Nanay's legacy of faith has taught me me to be patient.It has deepened my commitment to serve the Lord.I pray that future generations of my family will continue to live up to this faith in God that is her legacy.Mahal kita nanay.
Loving dear Nanay,servant of humanity
Embraced relatives and friends,shared earth's bounty
Singing melodies of joy,hope to many
Kindhearted,humble
Her faith was woven into our family.
Copyright 1998
National United Methodist-WSCS
05 February 2005
Emrenciana Reyes Ocampo My Mother's Faith: A Legacy
Posted by
Anonymous
at
11:46 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment