24 April 2006

More "What We Know"

It was in my 3rd Grade in Elementary School when Inay (Mother) tried to come to my rescue. She would rescue me from many other threatening situations as I grew up.

My teacher was conducting a spelling contest. Each pupil(for this was what we were called) would stand in front of the blackboard waiting for "the word" from the teacher. A wrong spelling meant instant elimination from the contest, shame and teasing from fellow students.

After a while, it was my turn, my "judgment day". The word was "lansones", the name of a delicious fruit. Facing the blackboard,with a stubby white chalk, I wrote "lanzones". The
teacher looked at my spelling and pronounced the dreaded word, "Wrong!". I could not believe my ears. She announced that the right spelling was "lansones." Actually, I had seen it spelled either way. I shuffled dejectedly back to my desk.

Arriving home from school, Inay noticed how forlorn I was. She always paid attention to her children, and always came to their defense. And come to my defense she did.

The next day,Inay accompanied me to school. Yes, other "pupils" looked and they talked. In my heart I just knew that she was going to give my teacher a real talking to. I knew that if that did happen my teacher deserved it.

We went right inside the classroom which was empty for the school bell had not yet sounded. I stayed outside, while Inay talked to my teacher. Not hearing any loud voices I looked inside
and saw them hugging and talking excitedly. I cannot remember today their previous relationship. But even then I knew that they were long lost friends or old schoolmates. I do not think they ever talked about the reason for Inay's classroom visit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great story!